Home cannabis cultivation has come a long way since the days of total prohibition, with all of Canada and more states now offering some form of cultivation provision. Whether you’re a recreational user or a medical patient, fighting for your health, it’s never been a better time to pick up growing as a way of life!
Fun Fact #1: You Can Save Massive Dollars!
Store Bought Cannabis Comparison Chart
Now imagine, just for a second, that you’re Janet — working mother of two daughters, fighting an aggressive form of breast cancer. On a comprehensive therapy program to treat your cancer, you need as much as 60 grams per day (in oil form). Here’s what you, as a cancer patient, would expect to pay per month:
- At cost, if LPs operated like non-profits and only charged the 2013 cost estimate of $1.80 per gram: $3,240 per month.
- At the supposedly subsidized cost of $5 per gram charged by PPS under the MMAR: $9,000 per month.
- At the Health Canada target rate for the first year of the MMPR, or $7.60 per gram: $13,680 per month.
- At the black-market rate, such as at a dispensary or from your local drug dealer, an average of $10 per gram: $18,000 per month.
- At the average dispensary/retailer price of $15 per gram: $27,000 per month!
Of course, if a 6′ x 6′ ft space is unrealistic, consider growing in a much smaller space using a grow tent. Grow tent dimensions start at 2′ x 2′ x 5′ for under $1,000, which includes everything you’ll need to grow cannabis except for soil and the plants. You can usually grow 2-to-4 plants in 1-to-3 gallon pots, and you’ll most likely use a 400-600 watt light.
So, let’s say that you are averaging $3 per gram of dry cannabis. If you’re Janet and deciding between purchasing your cannabis from the legal retail market, and growing your own, you would be weighing the monthly cost difference between $27,000 (retail) and $5,400 (home grow). That’s a total savings of $21,600 per month, and almost $260,000 in a single year!
Fun Fact #2: Gardening Improves Mental Health!
Dr. Ian Frampton, an Exeter University psychologist, stressed the researchers still had more work to do, but said they may have hit upon something significant.
“When looking at urban environments the brain is doing a lot of processing because it doesn’t know what this environment is,” he said, “and that puts the brain in a constant state of stress.” Rural images, on the other hand, produced a “much quieter” response in a completely different part of the brain. “There’s much less activity,” Dr. Frampton adds. “It seems to be in the limbic system, an older, evolutionarily part of the brain that we share with monkeys and primates.”
The takeaway? Spending just half an hour with your hands in the soil, surrounded by vegetation, can provide serious benefits for your body, mind and overall health.
Fun Fact #3: Growing Cannabis Puts the Control in Your Hands
Not sure where to start?
- “Fert-Alive” Enzymatic Formula, which promotes the growth of microorganisms that provide vital support to the plant’s overall vitality and root structure.
- “Organic Reactor” Premium Blooming Top Dress, which promotes superior blooming for all your flowering plants. It’s a highly beneficial soil amendment that improves soil vitality and overall plant health.
- “Organic Booster” Tea Blend (liquid). This is a carbohydrate infused booster, rich in nutrients that stimulate microorganisms with a chelating agent, adding a naturally occurring flavour profile to your cannabis.
- “Vit Alive” Tea Blend (dry compost tea), which increases the nutrient availability to your plants, leading to a strong root system. It also accelerates bud growth and maximizes yield.
- “pH UP” Natural Adjuster. This uniquely natural pH adjuster is used in balancing water pH levels, without affecting the beneficial microbes and microorganisms. pH UP is an all natural, non-burning formula.
- “pH DOWN” Natural Adjuster. Like the pH UP formula, this designed to lower pH levels.
Even if you’re not a horticulturist, and didn’t get all of that, the point is simple. The starter kit by BlueSky Organics contains pretty much everything you need, with user-friendly instructions to producing high-quality yields of potent, organic, toxin-free cannabis.